Monday, November 15, 2010

Agonizing over Oregon

And agonizing is really the perfect way to describe this decision. Brandon was offered a job in Oregon over a week ago. We still haven't decided if we are going to move or not. We have put the physician off in just about every way possible. We've been hoping that a job in Poky which Brandon interviewed for 2 weeks ago would make an offer too, but no such luck. We decided today that we must have a decision made by tomorrow (okay, I know that isn't a real decision, but it's all we could decide today).

Pros:
  • Great learning opportunity with a good physician
  • Not completely horrible salary (we talked the physician up from the original offer) with malpractice insurance paid for, CME budget after the 1st year, 2 weeks paid vacation for the 1st year - 3 weeks after the 1st year, and possible salary increase after 6 month review.
  • Will most likely qualify for federal student loan repayment (still checking on a couple things with this) which means that we could have our student loans completely paid off if we stay for 5 years.

Cons:

  • Location, location, location. Basically, we would be living in the groin of Oregon. Yes, the groin.
  • No mountains, just a few trees, longs winters, shorter growing season, no irrigation water in the area (which means it isn't green). Yes, just the big 'ol high desert of Oregon.
  • Extremely small town. Nearest decent shoppinig for even basic supplies is over 2 hours away.
  • Being so far away from family. Missing out on birthdays, holidays, weekly get togethers, you name it, we'll miss it. Being alone with just our little family.

When I think about the pros, to me it is a no brainer, we should go. When I think about the cons, all I want to do is stay in Poky. Been talking to a lot of people about it, most of them make me feel like we just need to suck it up and be grateful Brandon has been offered a good job with some good opportunities.

But we are still agonizing, just the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll come visit if you go... That makes it all better right? Love you, things will work out. Pray for peace and the ability to accept what's right for you and your cute little family. (and pray for me too would ya?) :)

Laurel said...

Good luck with your decision. You never know, it could be better than you think. :) I would come and visit you.

Laurel said...

As a side note, some good things come from the groin. Ha ha ha.

Just what is a Clair? said...

Man, the pros are good, but the cons seem way weightier. Being all out there by yourself does not seem like it would be good for my friend Candice. Vegas was hard enough. Five years is a really long time.

BUT if you guys pray about it and feel good, then it WILL work out. I thought living with my family would SUCK, but it has been practicly a breeze. Which to me is proof we are supposed to be here.

Goodluck! Big decision!!!

Rochelle said...

It's such a tough decision, but I'm confident you will make the best choice for your family.